Friday, March 25, 2011

Long Time No See

Hi, everyone! I know it's been a long time since I've posted. I haven't stopped crafting, but I just haven't felt like blogging. And a lot of my free time was taken up coaching my son's Lego Mindstorms team. They called themselves the Crash Test Dummies. Every year, the Wichita State University Engineering and Education depts team up to host a huge competition for 4th through 8th graders. This was the first year Matt did it. The kids have to build and program Lego Mindstorm robots to complete different courses. They also have to show team spirit and sportsmanship, and make a team notebook and display. They are judged on all of these things. Matt's team was a beginner team. They had three courses: Table Runner, Line Follower, and Ramp It. Line Follower was the one that gave us serious difficulties.
The kids AND parents learned alot from this competition! The number one thing I learned? Engineering is HARD! It's really difficult to get something to work the same way every single time--darn near impossible IMHO! Makes me appreciate all the devices, big and small, that we depend on every day. Unbelievable!
These kids absolutely stunned me with their smarts and can-do attitude. We didn't place, but they are all winners in my book!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pics Amy sounds like a ton of fun. Well NOT if you are me but so happy Matt had fun;)

Angela said...

Looks like fun, Amy! I have missed you!

Chris said...

very cool, i'm going to show quinn this post! so glad you all had a great time!!

Jen said...

That is so cool! Abe would totally be into this!